The music department has 2 teaching rooms, both equipped with Mac computers, keyboards and guitars, 2 practice/instrumental and vocal teaching rooms, and a recording studio. Pupils in Key Stage 3 are taught by Mrs Brewer or Miss Andropolis in one hour weekly lessons. The schemes of work in Key Stage 3 prepare pupils for studying the subject further at Key Stage 4, although we hope every pupil will go on to develop their own personal lifelong interest in music. Keyboard performance is an important skill throughout key stage 3, and keyboard skills feature regularly in Y7 and Y8.

We listen to a range of music from different cultures, and times, and by developing musical vocabulary pupils can express an opinion about, and describe the music they listen to. Composition tasks give pupils the opportunity to be creative, enabling them to explore how music is structured and developed.
Extracurricular activities include choral and instrumental groups. We encourage pupils to use the facilities in the department so they can practise and share ensemble experiences. Pupils are given the opportunity to have lessons in woodwind, brass, strings, drum kit, guitar, and voice. Pupils are given the opportunity to perform in our annual Carol service, Christmas concert, and Spring concert, Our Community choir is engaged in outreach, singing with the elderly in local care homes, and community organisations for people and cares living with dementia. 

Aims of the Department:

  • To give pupils an enjoyable musical experience, encouraging them to identify their individual musical strengths and achieve their potential in curricular and extra-curricular activities.
  • To inspire pupils to so they can go on to develop their own personal lifelong interest in music.
  • To develop the three main musical skills – performing, listening/appraising and composing.

music

Topics / Areas of Study

Key Stage 3

Year 7

  • Pitch, rhythm, and Keyboard
  • The elements of music/The orchestra
  • Programme music

Year 8

  • Film Music
  • Popular music
  • Keyboard

 

Key Stage 4 - years 9, 10 and 11 - GCSE Music

 

At Key Stage 4 pupils follow the Edexcel GCSE music specification. This develops their performance, composition, and listening appraising skills. Coursework is 60% of the overall mark; the other 40% is awarded in the listening/appraising written exam in which a thorough knowledge of set works and wider listening is essential.